Friday, March 13, 2026

Turning the other cheek

"It is better to do nothing than to do what is wrong for whatever you do, you do to yourself." Buddha 

"The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore." Rumi 

Turning the other cheek is considered a form of active, creative non-violent resistance rather than passive submission.

Many years ago an old Puerto Rican man said to me, "you ignore people." My case worker told me to just ignore my old roommate. You have to do what works for you. Turning the other cheek in the past in a lot of cases prevented me from acting violently. Acting violently you could hurt someone and in end up in prison or you could get hurt by someone. My family calls the ambulance on me out of anything but I don't care because that helps me keep my benefits. They think they are hurting me by calling the ambulance out of anything but I'm the one who benefits from it. One of the times I was released from the hospital I went to the pharmacy. The pharmacist asked me where I was and I told him I was hospitalized. I think he asked me why and I told him that they don't want me to defend myself. Then he asked me, "who's attacking you?" I think he told me in other words to just ignore people. A chatter at a Buddhism chat room said to remain calm and walk away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment